Supporting Physical Education/Activity in our Primary Schools
Tuesday 22nd September, 3.30pm - 7pm
Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co Dublin
In October 2014 the Local Sports Partnerships in the area came together to organise a very well attended and well received seminar on supporting sport and physical activity in secondary schools.
This year the Sports Partnerships have taken the same formula but modelled it for primary schools. The key focus of the FREE seminar is on how primary schools can reach all their pupils, especially those underactive and to raise awareness of the options and supports available to the schools.
The schedule for the afternoon has been drawn up with the input and support of various agencies involved in this area including; Education Centres, INTO, IPPEA, Active School Flag and PDST, to make sure it is appropriate and valuable for teachers and indeed also school completion officers and others involved in the primary school system.
The presentations will be short and snappy (20 minutes each) with direct examples from local schools - urban/rural, junior/senior including:
- A look at the latest research in the area of participation through the life cycle, focusing on Primary Level; both pathways & influences.
- Understanding the provision of professional development and supports for primary teachers in sport and physical activity.
- Supports the LSPs can provide in driving & increasing participation within the school setting.
- A look at the various national programmes your school might consider.
- Insight into how three local schools are adding to their PE curriculum on a daily and weekly basis; increasing regular participation in sport and physical activity among their pupils.
- Research and best practice in adapted physical education and a look at the European Inclusive Physical Education Training programme.
Also present on the day will be a large number of information stands from sports governing bodies such as Athletics, Hockey, GAA, Rugby, Cricket, Frisbee and more. There will be a refreshment break during the seminar to facilitate schools to link in with these sports.
This event coincides with the European Week of Sport (EWoS) and the Irish Sports Council is also an event partner viewing this as a flagship event for the week.
Attendance is FREE but places are limited and people are asked to register their place at https://primaryschoolssportsseminar.eventbrite.ie